Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Questions My Students Ask

I've been here three months now. As expected, it's about time for a little bump or two in adjusting. It's the time when your mind seems to say, "Wow, that was fun. Now it's time to go home." And you tell yourself, "No, this is home." I haven't experienced as much struggle with this as I thought that I would, but lately I do find myself struggling a bit inside and recognize it as this phase of adjusting. I am very thankful for past experiences (hurrah BYWAV!) that help me to understand a little of what I'm going through and to deal with it better.

On the lighter side, I often each lunch with different groups of my students. They ask me lots of questions. Here are some that are very common:

1. Why did you come to China?
2. How long have you been in China?
3. How long will you stay?
4. Do you like China?
5. Do you like Chinese food?
6. Can you speak any Chinese?
7. Are you married?
8. What are you looking for in a man? (girls always ask this one)
9. Would you marry a Chinese man? (this is often the follow up to #8)
10. Are you a Chr?
11. Where have you traveled in China?

Less common but actually asked:
1. Do you go to ch every week in America? Why?
2. Why do Americans celebrate Chr-mas?
3. Do you believe in Santa?
4. Do you think Chinese people are beautiful?
5. Would you vote for Obm since he is black? Aren't all black Americans dangerous? (I about fell over with this question. After asking questions myself, I found that this view came from what this person saw in American movies/ hip hop music videos.)
6. Do all American students have sex before marriage "like on tv"? (when I answered "not all", they actually didn't believe me. "Are you sure?" "Yes. I'm pretty sure," I said. "Many do, but not all.")

Another question my students often ask, since I teach freshmen video English, is if I could recommend any good movies for them to watch. So I'm compiling a list of clean and interesting movies that I can recommend when asked. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

8 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

I just watched Penelope, and it was very good. My Mom and Gary like the movie Alaska which is an action adventure.

Karyn said...

Ann-Marie: I love you. I love reading your blog. I love that you read mine. I love that you seem to keep track of me even when I'm far away! Thanks.

Robin Hayes said...

Most of what I know to be clean are all Disney movies. I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for. I'll have to think about this one.

Anonymous said...

Being Jane Austen. Loved It, just saw it this weekend. Pride & Prejudice, and Emma...all my favorits.

Love you, Leah Kay

Anonymous said...

sorry i can't spell or type this morning. Leah

Karyn said...

Your comment is so funny, Leah, because I just finished using P & P in my video classes for two weeks! Then a bunch of us teachers watched Emma for fun the other night! Now there is an ongoing debate about who is better: Mr. Darcy or Mr. Knightly. Even the some of the guys have opinions.

I told my friend Kelly as I read your comment, "It is so weird how Leah and I can be so far apart and yet be on the same wave length." Love you,
Karyn

Anonymous said...

I could send you some of my movies. Leah

Anonymous said...

What about some of the older classics? Are they allowed to watch movies like "the Best Years of Our lives" or "Laura". Some of the old Dana Andrews movies or Cary Grant... Ooooh, Cary Grant... =)

beth