Saturday, January 24, 2009

Sleepy Thoughts

In case you've missed the news of the week, I have a new macbook computer which has, in only two days, become, according to Mrs. Ascher, "my best friend." Yet another cool feature is the built-in dictionary. Tonight I used it because I was pondering some verses.

Nourish- a transitive verb meaning to provide with the food or other substances necessary for growth, health and good condition.

Cherish- a transitive verb meaning to protect and care for someone lovingly; to hold someone or something dear

Ephesians 5:28-29 "In the same way, husbands should love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as Christ does the church..."

It's taken me till this advanced age to really get a handle on what I am waiting for in a guy. I mean, I'm not hunting, but I want to be sure I recognize the one when he comes along. Now I realize that I've been analyzing it all too much, even though I acknowledge that the analyzing and pondering and growing of years regarding this issue are what have brought me to my now simplified conclusion.

I'm waiting for someone who resembles Christ in my life. I'm waiting for someone who actively nourishes and cherishes me. It's not enough that he meets some kind of fairy tale checklist. Probably he won't. But he will provide for my growth. He will long to protect me. He will lovingly care for me. That's worth waiting for.

The most exciting thoughts that I have about this passage revolve around the idea that I don't actually have to wait for this. The husband, who may or may not come along, is to follow the example of Christ who already nourishes and cherishes the Church. I'm a part of this church. He is actively nourishing and cherishing me. It doesn't take long to think of daily illustrations of this love that He has for me.

So tonight I lie in bed counting the ways that I am loved and nourished and cherished. And I rejoice. And, perhaps, I will sleep.

2 comments:

Rainbow said...

HOORAY FOR NEW MACBOOKS :DDDDD

Ann-Marie said...

I'm jealous over the macbook...but I love you, anyway! :-)